On one hand [BUT] On the other hand

[Copy link]
View73 | Reply0 | 2022-12-22 08:20:25 | Show all posts |Read mode
The phrase [On one hand… On the other hand...] is used to show a contrast between two different aspects of the same thing. This is typically done by contrasting a positive (good) aspect with a negative (bad) aspect. This phrase is commonly used when considering the possible pros and cons of an upcoming decision. For example:

✅ I've been thinking about whether I should quit my job. On one hand, I like my colleagues and I'm very happy with my current working environment. On the other hand, I would definitely like to get paid more.

In the example above, [whether I should quit my job] is the upcoming decision being considered. The positive aspects of the speaker's current job (I like my colleagues/ I'm very happy with my working environment) are being contrasted to a negative aspect (wanting to get paid more).

[On the other hand] is used in a similar way to other contrastive phrases like [However] and [Although]. It is NOT appropriate to use it to compare two positive aspects or two negative aspects of a situation. Consider the following example:

❌ I'm not sure if I should marry that man. On one hand, he is very handsome, but on the other hand, he is extremely rich.

The above example describes a woman's dilemma of whether to marry a certain man. However, both of the aspects she considered are generally considered positive (being handsome and being rich). Since both aspects are positive, there is no contrast, so the phrase [on the other hand] is confusing and inappropriate.

A better alternative would be the phrase [On top of that], which is used to emphasize an idea by adding additional support. For example:

✅ I should definitely marry this man! Not only is he very handsome, but on top of that he is extremely rich!

Here are some more correct examples of [on the other hand]:

✅ I'm not sure about going to study abroad in Spain. On one hand, it would certainly be a fun, exciting new experience for me. On the other hand, it would be difficult for me to survive since I don't have any friends there and I can't understand Spanish.

✅ Do you really think you should get a car? I mean, on one hand, a car would make it very convenient for you to travel to other cities, but on the other hand, it would cost a lot of money to buy and maintain.

STUDENT EXAMPLES:

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 注册

Points Rules

Threads

Credits

Beginner

Credits