Present Perfect (have done) vs Present Perfect Continuous (have been doing)

[Copy link]
View53 | Reply0 | 2022-11-18 14:54:46 | Show all posts |Read mode
Present perfect (have done) vs present perfect continuous (have been doing)

As you’ve learned, when we’re referring to a time period that started in the past and continues up to now, we use the present perfect tense.
But the present perfect tense actually has two forms:
  • So far this year, I have completed 10 projects. (present perfect)
  • I have been working on this problem for the last two weeks. (present perfect continuous)

To choose which to use, ask yourself two questions:

Question 1: Do you want to focus on the result or the ongoing action or situation  
It you want to focus on the result, use present perfect simple.
  • So far this year, I have completed 10 tasks.
(Focuses on the result – the number of tasks you have completed)
When the focus is on the action we have been performing, use the continuous.
   2. I have been working onthis problem for the last two weeks.
(Focusses on the action – the work you have been doing / how you have been spending your time)

Question 2:Is the action or situation short/temporary or is it long/permanent?  
For short, temporary situations or actions, it’s more common to use the present perfect continuous.
For longer, more permanent situations or actions, we use the present perfect simple.
1. I have lived in Beijing for more than ten years.
(Beijing is my long-term home – it feels permanent)
2. Due to the pandemic, I have been working from home for most of this year.
(This is a temporary situation – in the future it is likely to change)

Here are a few more examples:
  • We've been working hard to solve the problem. (Focusses on the action – the work you have been doing)
  • I've worked at Company for more than ten years, but I have only been working in this department for a few months.
  • We have completed more than 100 projects this year. (Focuses on the result – the number of projects)
  • We have overcome the first issue, but we still haven't found a solution for the second problem. We will keep working on it. (Focusses on the results)
  • We have been experiencing technical problems with this piece of equipment for weeks now. We really need to get it fixed. (Focusses on the ongoing situation)

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 注册

Points Rules