If you feel comfortable, you're not learning

[Copy link]
View218 | Reply0 | 2023-3-13 06:21:32 | Show all posts |Read mode

If you feel comfortable, you're not learning.

"Later that day, I met a woman who was teaching a different workshop at the retreat center.
“You're so lucky,” she said. “I haven’t participated in a personal development program for 30 years.”
“Why not?” I asked.
“I lead workshops,” she told me. “And I'm known. I couldn't participate in one.”
“Why not?” I asked.
“Because people trust me as a leader,” she responded. “They see me a certain way. I think they might lose trust in me if they saw me as a participant.”
“I don't want to be harsh,” I told her, “but honestly, I wouldn't trust you as a leader if I didn't see you learning as a participant.”

Being a beginner at something can feel awkward and embarrassing. And those are hard feelings to feel. But they are the inescapable growth pains that come with learning, developing, and becoming better at something. What can you do to make learning more comfortable? First, know that it’s brave to be a beginner. Understand that it takes courage and vulnerability to expose your weaknesses and try new things. Then look for learning situations where the stakes are not too high. Be the first to raise your hand and try something, letting others know that you may flub it. And feel everything. If you are willing to feel embarrassment, shame, failure, and awkwardness, you can do anything.
And whatever you do, don’t stop learning.

Adjusted from an article by Peter Bregman

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 注册

Points Rules