TC Small Talk: World Cup - If you are not that into sports

[Copy link]
View112 | Reply0 | 2022-11-27 22:02:28 | Show all posts |Read mode
Now, most of us, of course, have heard about the World Cup and know at least the basics of it. But you might not actually be that into sports at all.
That doesn't really stop you from having a solid conversation with someone who is! Being honest and asking good questions is a good policy for yourself there.

Remember the following steps, as usual:
1. Listen and tell yourself the main idea/some key details
(say it out loud).
2. Listen for details, pause and go back if needed.
3. Check the script and listen again multiple times to get more in.
4. Use the new language points that resonate with you in your own examples
(they DON'T have to be football related)

5. Get back to this post again after several days and then weeks to review.

Listen to the conversation between two colleagues
👨🏼‍💼 British partner
👩🏻‍💼 Filipino partner

💡 Now that you mention it...
💡 I assume...
💡 Why would <doing> <do>?
(Why would another team winning help England?)
💡 X might <do> which would <do>
(One team might stop another team from getting more points than England, which would help them advance through the tournament.)

💡 It's more <adj> than we thought it would be.
💡 It's to make sure that...
💡 used to <do>, but now...
💡 Speaking of...,. ...
💡 We best <do>

World Cup 2022 - Polite Disinterest

Jake: Did you catch any of the games last night?
Amy: Games?
Jake: The world cup!
Amy: Basketball?
Jake: Oh wow, I didn't think anyone didn't at least know about it. It's the football World Cup. Or soccer if you are American. I'm almost impressed that you haven't heard about it.
Amy: Oh, now that you mention it, I have seen adverts about it. I just didn't really pay attention to them.
Jake: I guess you're not much of a fan then.
Amy: No, sorry, it's not really my thing.
Jake: No worries, if we all only liked the same thing the world would be a boring place.
Amy: I assume you are supporting England?
Jake: Of course! But I'll also support any of the underdog teams and any team that needs to win to help England.
Amy: Why would another team winning help England?
Jake: It's a points thing. One team might stop another team from getting more points than England, which would help them advance through the tournament.
Amy: I thought it was a knock-out competition? Why are there points?
Jake: The second half of the World Cup is a knock-out stage. The first half is called the group stage where there are 8 groups of 4 teams. Only the top 2 from each group advance to the next stage.
Amy: I think I understand. It's more complicated than I thought it would be.
Jake: I think it's to make sure that each team plays at least 3 games. It would be really disappointing to have to go home after only playing 1 game.
Amy: I think you're right about that.
Jake: So, do you follow any sports?
Amy: No. I never really got into any sports. I always preferred reading or crafting something.
Jake: What do you do for exercise?
Amy: I normally go running about once or twice a week and I used to do a lot of yoga, but I haven't been in a while due to the pandemic. I need to get back into it to be honest.
Jake: I know what you mean. I haven't been swimming in ages and I used to go 5 times a week.
Amy: Well, it's easy to lose track of these things when we are so busy and life and work get in the way.
Jake: Too true. Speaking of work, I best get back to mine.
Amy: Me too. See you later.
Jake: Laters.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 注册

Points Rules