Business Idioms: A learning curve

[Copy link]
View370 | Reply0 | 2022-11-21 07:47:27 | Show all posts |Read mode
What is a learning curve?

A learning curve is a mathematical concept that graphically depicts how a process is improved over time due to learning and increased proficiency.
The learning curve theory is that tasks will require less time and resources the more they are performed because of proficiencies gained as the process's learned.

You don't have to be a mathematician to use it in your daily life, though. A learning curve, or "to be on a learning curve", are phrases that you can hear and use in your daily workplace communication as well.
To be on a learning curve means that you're quickly gaining knowledge in a particular field. This is often used to show:
A. that someone is learning
B. that something ahead might be a bit challenging
C. that it's ok to not yet know everything

A: This semester has been quite the learning curve for you, hasn't it?
B: Yes, I feel like I've learned a lot with you.

▪️ Setting up a new business is risky and involves a steep learning curve and can ultimately lead to failure.

A: How do you feel about yesterday's performance in your first TC?
B: Not that good, I was quite nervous and almost forgot an important detail.  But I'm on a learning curve, I'll make sure I deliver a better update next time.

Adjectives steep, rapid, intense might often be added to give additional meaning.
A steep learning curve means sth may be difficult or challenging to learn at first, but that once you have gained the knowledge needed everything clicks into place and makes perfect sense. A steep learning curve is usually associated with learning a new skill or subject.

It may not always necessarily be the case that a steep learning curve equates to learning sth extremely difficult but rather a completely new area with a large amount of experience to gain.

▪️ Starting a new job with no prior experience can leave you facing a steep learning curve.
▪️ He knew he was going to face a steep learning curve when he made the decision to switch to another department. But it was, definitely, an investment into his future.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Rate

Number of participants 1prestige +3 Collapse Reason
Nanping + 3

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 注册

Points Rules